All about MacTheRipper
MacTheRipper has been very famous for its functionality in creating copies of your favorite DVD's by eliminating the issues with the data's region code, as well as overcoming CSS encryption problems. However, it is not so easy to download MacTheRipper online. The most commonly known version is MacTheRipper 2.6.6, MacTheRipper 3.0 and MTR 4. Read on to get more details.
MacTheRipper 2.6.6 is a free DVD ripping software on Mac that runs OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or lower. It can be to download from many sites. It’s released for totally free. And this is the version that are easiest to obtain. Even MacTheRipper official site are closed, you can still get it from many software download resource sites like MacUpdate.com.
There is almost no entry to download MacTheRipper 3.0 even it's offered for free. It can bypass the CSS encryption and remove DVD copy protection. The supported operating system is also limited to Mac OS X 10.6 or previous. If you have upgraded to Mountain Lion or Mavericks, then ignore this and try the alternatives to MacTheRipper 3.0.
MacTheRipper 4 is the latest version but it is not free anymore. The good news is that MTR 4 works for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. If you want to get MTR 4, you need to give donation to MacTheRipper team and they will send you an activation code. Note that you don’t have a chance to try this Mac The Ripper 4 before giving your “gifts”.
(Tips: Mountain Lion or Mavericks users need to get some other excellent DVD ripping software to convert DVD movies since all main MacTheRipper versions are not compatible with the new system.)
When using MacTheRipper, you may find that there are some annoyance happened by chance. For example, the MacTheRipper bad sectors problem often occurs when you try to convert an old DVD movies to play on your new purchased iPad Air. Another common problem is that when you extract audio from DVD with MacTheRipper, you can't play it directly with MP3 player. On an issue like this, what can you do? Here I gather some frequently asked questions and all answers included. Of course, one-stop solution to all problems is provided, just keep reading.
• Scene: When you insert a DVD disc that is out of your region, a Drive Region window will pop up, telling you the drive region and DVD disc region are not matched. And then you'll find that MacTheRipper can't read the disc and all buttons except Disc and Mode all turn grey.
• Reason: Some people try to rip DVDs out of their region without changing the DVD drive region. Some people simply disable the DVD player to automatically read and play the DVD movie when the disc is inserted. In this case, your Mac won't ask you to change the DVD region. However, this usually doesn't work and even if it works, the ripped movies won't play normally, usually missing some audio or pictures.
• Soulution: Generally, you can't rip DVDs out of your region with MacTheRipper without changing your DVD drive region. To change the drive region:
Step 1. Please insert a disc into your Mac's DVD drive and follow the window that prompts you to choose a DVD region code to set the region code for your disc. Please note that the DVD region can be changed for only 5 times. After that, it will be locked permanently. For more info about DVD region code, please refer to Unlock DVD Region.
Step 2. If you have lots of DVD discs from all around the world, you'd better use a DVD ripper that can remove DVD region code automatically when ripping the DVD movies.
• Scene: Sometimes you've finished ripping the DVD. However, the videos can't be played normally and some segments are missing.
• Reason: The Bad sector error can be caused by various reasons. One of the possible reasons is that your DVD disc is dirty or damaged. This Bad Sector problem may also be caused by DVD protection like ARccOS protection or RipGuard protection because MacTheRipper sometimes works terribly with new ARccOS discs.
• Soulution: If it's dirty, you can fix the problem by cleaning the DVD disc. If the disc is damaged or scratched, there will be some glitches on the output videos. Generally speaking, MacTheRipper 3.0 rips DVD a little better than the previous versions. But you shouldn't expect much improvement.
To solve MacTheRipper bad sector errors caused by DVD protection or other reasons, here are some solutions that may work:
Step 1. If there is a message asking you to "delete" or "PAD VOB", just select "PAD VOB". That's because some DVDs have bad sectors put into them to mess with making copies of them. Fortunately, MacTheRipper can pad them and rip the DVD.
Step 2. In Mode windows, switch from "Full extraction" mode to "main feature" mode. This method is useful if the bad sectors are not added to the main feature of your DVD movie.
Step 3. Upgrade to MacTheRipper 3.0, which works well with RipGuard copy protection. (Note: MacTheRipper doesn't work on Mountain Lion and Lion. If you're using these operating systems and want to rip DVDs on your Mac, you can turn to Aimersoft DVD Ripper for Mac, which is highly compatible with mavericks, Mountain Lion and Lion.) Download it now:
• Scene: MacTheRippr allows you to extract DVD audio and save it in AC3 format, but how to extract DVD audio with MacTheRipper?
Step 1. When the DVD scanning is finished, click "Mode" and switch to "Title Only Extraction", or select "Title - Chapter Extraction" if you want to extract a single audio file from the entire title.
Step 2. Select the "D" button, click "Streams" and then select the AC3 track you want as below.
Step 3. Go to "File" and select "Save to" to set a folder to save the converted files. Finally, click "Go" to start the audio extraction.
(Tips: If you want to play the ripped audio with iTunes, you'll be disappointed since AC3 is not compatible with Mac. So, sfter MacTheRipper extracts audio to AC3, you need to convert AC3 to MP3 so that you can play the audio files on your Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iTunes, etc. Or you can directly convert DVD to MP3 in an easier way>>)
• Scene:When you finish ripping your DVD disc with MacTheRipper, you'll get lots of VOB files in a VIDEO_TS folder. How to play these files?
• Soulution:These VIDEO_TS VOB files can be played either in Apple DVD player or VLC Media Player:
Step 1. Open DVD player: Launch Apple DVD player and click File > Open DVD Media so as to import the ripped DVD VOB movies for playback.
Step 2. Choose the Video-TS folder and now you can click Choose to start playing the MactheRipper ripped DVD movies with Apple DVD player. If you want to play the ripped movies on portable media players like iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android, PSP, Xbox 360 and more, please try Aimersoft DVD Ripper for Mac. It lets you lets you convert MacTheRipper ripped VIDEO_TS files to any popular video/audio format so you can play them virtually anywhere you like.
If you are fed up with resolving the MacTheRipper problems one after one, why not find a one-stop solution rather than keeping bearing the patchy MacTheRipper. Below is one highly recommended MacTheRipper alternatives for you to get rid of the problem mention above with ease. That is Aimersoft DVD Ripper for Mac - the combination of MacTheRipper Lion, MacTheRipper Mountain Lion and MacTheRipper Mavericks.
As an excellent MacTheRipper alternative, Aimersoft DVD Ripper for Mac can rip DVD to not only VOB format, but also convert DVD to various popular video formats like MP4, MOV, AVI and more. Converting DVD to any audio format is easy as ABS now. This MacTheRipper equivalence lets you directly convert DVD music to MP3, M4A, WMA, AIFF, M4R and various audio formats. It will rip and convert DVD on Mac with 6X faster speed while keeping the original high quality. You don’t need to worry about the MacTheRipper bad sectors anymore. The built-in video player also allows you to play any converted media files. No any extra player is needed. Besides, it can extract DVD movies and convert them to optimized presets to play with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android smart phones, PSP and more. Embracing a concise and clean interface, this DVD Ripper is very simple to handle. Just follow the steps below to start ripping DVD on Mac now:
Step 1. Install Aimersoft DVD Ripper for Mac and load DVD files
You can download the free trial version of Aimersoft DVD Ripper for Mac from the download link above. It is a professional app for converting DVD files to other video formats on Mac OS X (10.8 Mountain Lion and 10.9 Mavericks). Launch the program and you can add VOB files copy from DVD disc, IFO files and ISO files to the software. Batch conversion is supported so you can add more than one file at a time to enjoy the fast conversion speed.
Step 2. Choose the output video format
You can choose the output format in the format drop-down list according to your needs. If you are planning to transfer the output videos to devices for enjoyment, you can choose the corresponding device as the output format.
Tips: If you select one of Apple Devices as the output format, the output files could be added to iTunes automatically.
Step 3. Start to convert the DVD files
Click the Start button to accomplish the video conversion. In a second, it is done. Then you can enjoy the videos on the go freely.