Digital music & movies whether purchased from some online stores such as iTunes, Zune, Amazon, Rhapsody, BBC iPlayer, etc. or downloaded from torrent sites are always secured with DRM protection. This is to prevent piracy and unlawful distribution of the media files.
There are situations where one would like to play the files on non-specified players. For example, you bought music from iTunes designed by Apple but had a Zune player designed by Microsoft. It would be tricky to play the files without DRM removal. Luckily for you, there are several easy to use software that remove DRM for you and bring you that much closer to your files.
There are four most popular and best DRM converter software. For your benefit, they have been reviewed with a likes and dislikes lists. Find the best-suited DRM removal tool from the review below and set your files free!
- iTunes uses "Fairplay" and Windows Media uses "Plays for Sure" DRM system. This is a universal DRM removal software for both systems mentioned.
- Possesses a DRM media converter, integrated and powerful to not only convert audio to audio but also video to audio and video-to-video.
- After automatically detecting a DRM protected file, it proceeds to convert by using a multi-thread intelligent parallel conversion system which saves time.
- Not only does it convert at a superfast 10X speed, but also possesses Hi-Fi with ID3 well reserved.
- Provides online after service, a 24-hour tech-support all days of the week and self-upgradability for lifetime.
- Only Windows compatible.
- Depending on the files to be converted and the related library, it requires iTunes or Windows Media Player to be installed on the same system.
- It's not as advanced as it claims to be, given that there are frequent errors in conversion. It is still a step or two away from perfection.
Below is a video tutorial on how to remove DRM from videos:
Download DRM Removal:
- It's free!
- It converts and removes DRM from iTunes M4P music.
- It won't take much memory, as it is only 375KB sized file. Very useful for low-end systems and laptops.
- It is not completely free. It outputs only mp3 at the free stage.
- One cannot choose settings for music quality, output audio file size and output preference.
- Cannot convert DRM protected videos.
- It needs Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, making it difficult to install.
- It only supports iTunes 7.5.0 or below., suggesting a lack of upgrade in a long time.
- It's a freeware.
- Converts .m4p music.
- Simply drag and drop for batch conversions.
- Outputs only.m4a.
- Cannot choose settings for music quality, size, etc.
- Cannot convert DRM video files.
- The program is a little difficult to use. Also has no upgrade and is incompatible with iTunes 8.
- It is a step ahead of regular DRM removal software. It converts both the protected & unprotected audio files.
- Several output audio formats are supported as well as different portable players.
- Has a free trial and a live upgrade option.
- A little bit expensive at $35 for merely an audio DRM removal.
- Does not convert video files.
- One has to manually build the conversion list, making it difficult for DRM removal novices.
- Does not have much choice in output formats because it is missing .aac,.ape, .ogg, aiff, ac3, mka, .flac, etc.
- Uses a lot of computer memory, making the conversion procedure sluggish especially while loading several files at the same time. Also cannot run other program at the same time while converting.
While the perfect all-purpose DRM removals is yet to be made and released, the top 4 programs in market are worth your penny depending on your requirement. The free DRM removal software myFairTunes is a good choice for those who only need to convert iTunes M4P files and are on a tight budget. On the other hand, Aimersoft DRM Media Converter is undoubtedly worth it for those whose files spread across not only iTunes formats but also other DRM protected media files like WMV and WMA.
DRM WMV to AVI: The best way to convert DRM protected WMV to AVI on Windows 7/8/XP/Vista is explained here.
DRM WMV/WMA to iPad: This articles is showing you how to convert protected WMA and WMV to iPad so as to play WMA WMV on iPad with no DRM restrictions.
Protected WMA to MP3: If you have audio tracks in WMA format and want to listen on your MP3 player or another device, just follow this guide on how to convert WMA to MP3 step by step.
Amazon Music Store VS iTunes: Amazon MP3 is an online music store which sells DRM-free song and album, iTunes is Apple's online music store launched in April 2003. Click to learn more difference between them.
WMA DRM Removal Freeware: What is the top WMA DRM Removal for free, here we list 4 best DRM Removal for protected WMA files.
iTunes DRM Removal Freeware: Is there a free way to remove DRM from iTunes protected .m4v files? Yes, there is.
WMV DRM Removal Freeware: This article introduces you 3 best free WMV DRM removal, and also shows you how to remove DRM from WMV legally, so you can enjoy DRM WMV files on any portable device iPhone, iPad, iPod, Zune as your will.
TuneBite Alternative: Aimersoft DRM Media Converter is the best software that can be used as an alternative to Audials Tunebite.
FairUse4WM Windows 7: Are you looking for FairUse4WM for Windows 7 alternative? Here we provide the best one for you.
iTunes Supported Formats: What file format does iTunes support? This article introduces you the detailed information.